Romfilatelia introduces into circulation the postage stamp issue entitled Medias, 750 years of documentary attestation, Friday, August 11th, in its own shops network in Bucharest, Bacau, Brasov, Cluj-Napoca, Iasi and Timisoara and online on http://romfilatelia.ro/store/
The four stamps issue and the special philatelic album showcase, in an original manner, the city considered an open-air museum, celebrating centuries of history, heritage and culture.
On the stamp with the face value of Lei 2.50, the Stephan Ludwig Roth High School is pictured along with the “Gemini” symbol on the façade of the high school. Located in the historical center of Medias, it was built at the beginning of the 20th century based on the project of architect Fritz Balthes from Sighisoara. The name “Stephan Ludwig Roth” is attributed to the high school in memory of the revolutionary humanist, in 1919.
On the façade of the high school there are three city-specific symbols: “Gemini”, which symbolize light, “Compass and Set Square” and “Golden Grapes”, which is also the symbol of the city.
The Tailors’ Bastion, the Spinner and the Orthodox Cathedral with the dedication “Archangels Michael and Gabriel” are found on the stamp with the face value of Lei 4.
The Tailors’ Bastion, tower and defensive bastion, is today presented to us in the form of a building with a simple architecture. Three of its rooms were used during the Middle Ages as a prison. Joining this tower, the “Spinner” statuie gave rise to various hypotheses, one of which is related to the Fates that determine man’s destiny from birth, or that she spins the city’s thread of life and that of its inhabitants.
The Orthodox Cathedral with the dedication “Archangels Michael and Gabriel” was built between 1929 and 1935 according to the plans of the architect George Placinteanu Liteanu from Bucharest. Built in Byzantine style, the cathedral has an area of over 500 square meters. The interior paintings were made by the painter Gheorghe Belizarie. The exterior of the cathedral is as impressive as the interior, and the influences of the Brancoveanu style are obvious.
One of the most visited tourist attractions in Medias is the Franciscan Architectural Complex, which includes the Franciscan church and monastery. The compound of the church and monastery was built in the early 15th century. Of these, the church retained the most of its original appearance.
Currently, the building houses the collections of the Municipal Museum and is located next to a special basorelief on the the stamp with the face value of Lei 4.50.
On the stamp with the face value of Lei 16 is represented the Church of Saint Margaret, but also one of the two lions, symbol of the Schuller House.
The Church of Saint Margaret is a place of worship, a true historical monument itself, but also the oldest stone building in the city, whose first documentary mention dates back to 1414. The construction was completed in 1488, a fact recorded in the chronicle of Georg Soterius. The architectural and pictorial palette is very rich: painted shields, the Batoresti and Matei Corvin’s emblems, and the altar encompasses many biblical scenes.
The Schuller House is documentarily attested in 1588 as the property of Johannes Schuller, Mayor of Medias at that time. But in the old chronicles it is mentioned a long time before 1588.
This postage stamp issue is completed by a First day cover, and as composition there were used a sheet of 28 stamps, the minisheet of 5 stamps and label.
The special album, created into a limited run printing of 450 pieces, reunites in an associated theme, products belonging to philately and numismatics, the block of four imperforated stamps of the issue numbered from 001 to 450 and the medal which shows on the obverse and reverse, the effigy of Hermann Oberth and the “Stephen Ludwig Roth” theoretical high school, respectively.
Romfilatelia thanks the Medias City Hall and eng. Liviu Pintican – Juga for the documentary support granted in the creation of this postage stamp issue.
For further information, please contact the Public Relation Office:
Tel: 021 / 337 24 42