Romfilatelia continues the series of themes dedicated to Romania’s buildings with symbolic value, introducing in circulation on Thursday, February 2nd, this year, the postage stamps issue entitled Centenary of the Palace of the National Military Circle, consisting of 4 stamps, a block of 4 perforated stamps and a First Day Cover.
Built by the contribution of officers from the Bucharest garrison, in the Eclectic Neoclassical (French-inspired) style that characterises the whole chain of palaces (National History Museum, CEC Palace, Palace of Justice, etc.) built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, which earned Bucharest the name “Little Paris”, it was opened on Sunday, February 4th, 1923, in the presence of King Ferdinand and Queen Marie. “This morning we had the inauguration of the Military Circle. Great ceremony, with all the officers from Bucharest, the metropolitan, etc. Splendid building. It was started many years ago and resources were always too scarce to finish it. At last, it is complete,” the Queen noted in her diary.
The project to build an army palace dates back to the end of the 19th century, but the foundation excavations began in 1911, during the mandate of the ministry of war Nicolae Filipescu, on the site of the former Sărindar Monastery.
The execution of the palace was carried out with difficulty mainly due to the lack of funds and the technical problems that arose. Finally, in 1916, the construction finished in red, represented an urban landmark of Bucharest, this fact being recorded by “The illustrated Gazette” which considered the new edifice as the “Adornment of the Capital”. During the Great War, the works were stopped and after overcoming several obstacles, especially of a financial and organizational nature, the Palace of the Military Circle was ready for inauguration.
On the stamp with the face value of Lei 2.30 is represented the building of the National Military Circle, a unique edifice of the national heritage, built according to the plans of the architect Dimitrie Maimarolu in the late 19th century.
The stamp with the face value of Lei 3 depicts the main entrance to the Palace (from C. Mille Street, formerly Sărindar), the metalwork having been purchased from Germany. The decorative motifs of the archway are of antique inspiration, and the staircase at the entrance links to another leading to the Hall of the Founders.
The stamp with the face value of Lei 9 depicts “The Bugler”, illustrates a painting signed by Bella Kromer, a reproduction of Nicolae Grigorescu’s homonymous painting.
The stamp with the face value of Lei 19.50 depicts two pairs of caryatids and atlanteans that flank the extremities of the Marble Hall. Inspired by Greek architecture, they depict female figures supporting the weight of the balconies for the orchestra.
The block of four perforated stamps depicts the building of the National Military Circle, taken from a vintage image. The illustration highlights the side facing Regina Elisabeta Boulevard where a tram can also be seen followed by a vintage car.
On the First Day Cover is reproduced the first day postmark of the issue, within it is inscribed the emblem of the Military Circle, alongside with the image of the architecture of the historical monument dedicated, since the beginning, to military solemnities.
Romfilatelia thanks the representatives of the National Military Circle for their documentary and photographic support granted to the development of this postage stamps issue.