The centenary anniversary of the “Palace of the National Military Circle” offered the opportunity to launch the issue of postage stamps dedicated to a building with an impressive architecture for the city of Bucharest and a symbol of the Romanian army, marking a new chapter of history in the Romanian philatelic heritage.
In the presence of the officials of the Ministry of National Defence, of the management of the celebrated institution, the centenary commemorative plaque was unveiled, recalling the inauguration, on the 4th of February 1923, in the presence of King Ferdinand and Queen Marie, of the splendid building built with the support of the officers of the Bucharest Garrison.
In the Eclectic Neoclassical style (of French inspiration) that features almost all the great buildings built in the late 19th and early 20th century that made Bucharest to be called “Little Paris”, the Palace of the National Military Circle was built according to the project signed by architect Dimitrie Maimarolu. In addition to the numerous financial problems that delayed the execution of the works, there was the 1907 uprising and the difficult years of the war, the “autumn of misery” (1916, when the army, the administration, the Royal House, the officials and part of the civilian population withdrew to Moldova, the capital remaining under German occupation), which left the Palace “in shell stage”. The work was completed after the war and the splendid building became part of the army’s heritage shortly before the country was to receive a new Constitution, which was to establish the new socio-economic, cultural and political context of the Great Union.
Romfilatelia thanks the team of the National Military Circle for the documentary support given to the development of this philatelic issue, continuing its mission as a promoter of national values, a duty of honour towards the memory of our ancestors.